Monday, December 22, 2008

bad burn

I borrowed this book called "Burn This Book... and Move On with Your Life" It talks about some plaguing thoughts and bad habits that we might have. There are a few which i think are applicable to me. So, these are a few reminders to myself.

  • I will let go of the need to be perfect.
  • I will break habits that are harmful to my health.
  • I will remove unhealthy friendships from my life.
  • I will put off procrastination. (.... I'll try... :p)
  • I will resist the urge to please at the expense of my own needs.
  • I will let go of my need to prove myself to others.
  • I will replace prejudice with compassion.
  • I will reduce the number of buts and ors in my life.
Are you down to earth or is your head in the clouds? Are you naughty or are you nice? Are you wrong or are you right? Unfortunately our culture isn't very comfortable with paradoxes. Most people feel like they must be one thing or another, which leads to confusion. We live in a colorful world, so it doesn't make sense to make everything black or white. Don't limit yourself.
My grandma Miriam always says that the beauty in life comes from the ANDS. You can be down to earth
and have your head in the clouds. You can be both naughty and nice. You can even be a psychologist and a go-go dancer. Likewise, you can lose your buts without quitting smoking or spending hours on an exercise machine. The ways we often use the word "but" is the same way we use "or". It is exclusionary. For example, instead of saying "I like your art project, but i think it could use more blue," say "I like your art project, and i think it could use more blue." Discover the peace of mind that comes from accepting the ands in life.
  • I will knock down the walls that separate me from others.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...